Is this possible?

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Without directly modifying your code, if I'm just using your VS project template on the main app, is there a way I could re-implement and use an alternate view for the shell's viewmodel?  Perhaps the same technique could be used to allow me to redo the splash screen?

I want to simply inherit your viewmodels and views, and extend but not sure how.

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I see how to do this now from your comments in my other issue, thanks.

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Edited Mar 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM

*This post has been updated, see below.*

To change the main view, at this moment, requires creating a custom AppStarter and Bootstrapper. You could subclass the bootstrapper class in the Calcium.Client project, and override the CreateShell method.

I think that more needs to be done with creating extensibility points for the Unity container. Its creation occurs by the Bootstrapper, which makes it difficult to register types prior to starting the AppStarter, unless one uses config. As I write this I have had some ideas how to improve things. Stay tuned.

UPDATE:

This is now easy to do, by replacing a the ShellView style in your application's resourcedictionary. See WindowDictionary.xaml for the style. You will still retain all animation etc. There is also new theming support. See the new default skin in the source for details.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Is there are any further developments on this issue?  I am interested, how did you envisage users should use your VS Project Template?

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Not yet. I'll be actioning the tasks depending on their votes in the issue tracker.

I am not sure I understand your second question. There is an installer for the templates.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Sorry, my second point is a little unclear.

If I want to use your project template as created then I would need to remove your example content^.  What is not clear to me is how to get a generated project  to this point where all shell containers, menus etc are empty.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Hi,

I'm not a pro in WPF but I think I want to be able to do the same thing as swissteve. The thing is I want to be able to use your RegionAdapters, Services and the underlying structure. But I couldn't figure out how to do that. When I overwrite a method I can't access other things that I want to keep since they are private. And also some of the controls have built in items like StandardMenu which I don't want to keep. Thanks for supplying the code by which we can customize these things but when we do that we will struggle by integrating updates to our modified version. Therefore I don't want to touch the source code as long as itsn't necessary. I don't know whether you've developed this library in order to be used in a way I described or not. If you did then we should have a way to remove all the default regions, modules etc. or the bare Calcium shouldn't include them in the first place. VS template can stay for anyone who needs a ready start.

By the way this is a great library. Something that I've been looking for a long time. But as I said I want to use it without changing the code if possible.

Thanks again

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I agree with Cantay, there is some really great features in Calcium but we should consider a stripped down version that a user can freely change the UI.

For example, I would love to have the same as what I provided in the article below, but with all the great features of Calcium.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/WPF/SimplePrism.aspx

If this was provided then I think a lot more people could adopt Calcuim easily

We should add a vote for this feature on CodePlex

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Thanks for your comments guys, becaue it helps me set direction for future development. I hear you, and will endeavour to make Calcium more customizable in this regard. I intend to allow for conditional loading of the default modules, and if a region has no items in it then it will be hidden. I will also allow for discarding the default menu etc.

Cheers,

Daniel

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM

An update for anyone reading this thread. This is now easy to do, by replacing a the ShellView style in your application's resourcedictionary. See WindowDictionary.xaml for the style. You will still retain all animation etc. There is also new theming support. See the new default skin in the source for details.

Cheers,

Daniel