Trouble getting clog to work in VS 2010.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Edited Apr 2, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Hi everyone,

I’m having trouble setting up clog with my VS2010.

It sounds stupid, but there is nothing more to it than opening the ClogFull.sln with VS, right?

After that I should be able run the example projects?

However, after I imported the solution and try to run the examples I receive some build errors which look like the following console output and tell my basically that I’m missing on the classes DanielVaughan.dll, DanielVaughan.Logging.Silverlight.dll and DanielVaughan.Logging.Silverlight.UI.dll and that something went wrong while building the projects which results in a Metadata.cs file which has only “ErrorGeneratingOutput” as it’s content:

:

------ Build started: Project: DanielVaughan.Silverlight, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

C:\Projekte\Modem Editor\Logging\Client Side Logging\Clog\Source Code\ClogSource_01_10(1)\Source\Core\SilverlightCore\Metadata.cs(1,1): error CS0116: A namespace cannot directly contain members such as fields or methods

Compile complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings

c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1360,9): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors, which tell me two things:

------ Build started: Project: DanielVaughan.Logging.Silverlight, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Projekte\Modem Editor\Logging\Client Side Logging\Clog\Source Code\ClogSource_01_10(1)\Source\Core\SilverlightCore\Bin\Release\DanielVaughan.dll' could not be found

------ Build started: Project: DanielVaughan.Silverlight.Tests, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Projekte\Modem Editor\Logging\Client Side Logging\Clog\Source Code\ClogSource_01_10(1)\Source\Core\SilverlightCore\Bin\Release\DanielVaughan.dll' could not be found

------ Build started: Project: DanielVaughan.Logging.Silverlight.LogUI, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Projekte\Modem Editor\Logging\Client Side Logging\Clog\Source Code\ClogSource_01_10(1)\Source\Clog\bin\Silverlight\DanielVaughan.Logging.Silverlight.dll' could not be found

------ Build started: Project: ExampleSilverlightProject, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Projekte\Modem Editor\Logging\Client Side Logging\Clog\Source Code\ClogSource_01_10(1)\Source\Clog\bin\Silverlight\DanielVaughan.Logging.Silverlight.dll' could not be found

error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Projekte\Modem Editor\Logging\Client Side Logging\Clog\Source Code\ClogSource_01_10(1)\Source\Clog\bin\Silverlight\DanielVaughan.Logging.Silverlight.UI.dll' could not be found

Compile complete -- 2 errors, 0 warnings

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 5 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

While importing the project, VS asked several times if it shall remove the write protection from some of the files contained in the project which were under source control somewhen, which I accepted every time.

I seriously have no clue how to solve this one but I really like the idea of the framework so thanks for every help I can get!

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Hi Maddes,

I believe the issue was caused by some Silverlight 4 test projects in the Clog solution. They've been updated to Silverlight 5. Please get the latest and let me know if you can build now.

Cheers,

Daniel

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Hi Daniel,

thx for your fast reply!

After downloading the most recent version of calcium as you suggested, the compilation worked out fine after I unblocked the System.Windows.Interactivity.dll over the file system (I mention this for the protocol =) ).

Thx again for your fast reply and your amazing work I came to see this far, like the introduction to Clog for Silverlight on the Code Project!

Now let's see if I can get my head around your examples =)

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM

You're welcome Maddes. :)