Calcium migration to .Net 4 and Prism 4

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM
Edited Nov 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Prism 4 was released yesterday. For my own project, I had a need to move to .Net 4 and Prism 4. I took the Calcium build from Composure that had already been migrated to .Net 4, and updated it to use Prism 4. Note there were changes necessary to the bootstrapper and the custom catalog, but they work and all tests pass. Everything seems to work great loading my own modules.

I should add that I have not done anything with the SL portions of this build. Some additional attention will need to be placed on that part.

If anyone's interested in getting the build from me, just message me. Perhaps Daniel could take it and create a branch for those of us that want to move to .Net 4 and Prism 4.

-Tony

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Hi Tony,

I found some time in the early hours to move Calcium to VS10. Still more work to do of course.

I've moved to Prism 4 and .NET 4, and there are a few issues I need to solve before I can check in.

Cheers,

Daniel

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:11 AM

Oh, nice. Had I known you were already working on it, I wouldnt have spent most of last night working on that. :-) What sort of issues are you having with the migration? Maybe it's something I ran into and worked around already.

Great framework, by the way. By far the easiest way to get a full featured jump start on modular client development.

-Tony

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Thanks Tony.

I've just checked in the .NET 4/Prism 4 build. It's launching, but I haven't had time to test the templates. I only had a minor change to the CustomModuleCatalog.

Cheers,

Daniel

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Thanks, Daniel. I'll check that out and do some testing. If I run into any issues, I'll chase them down and we can work through it.

-Tony

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Cheers Tony

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:44 PM

First issue I have found is during the installation of VS10Setup.  Got the dreaded BadImageFormatException on DanielVaughan.Calcium.VSIntegration.Installation.dll

I have tried changing the build of this dll to just x86 rather than AnyCPU - Made no change.

Will keep working on it but thought I would get it down here in case someone else had fixed it already.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Got it installed.  Saw the BadImageFormatException and assumed the 64bit problem.  Didn't keep reading.  When I did it was whinging on about the framework version.  I changed both integration packages to .NET3.5 and rebuilt.  I then installed VS10Setup and all was well.  Not sure if it is just my PC or a wider problem.  Perhaps someone could confirm so if required Daniel can fix to save others fighting this.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Hey James,

I haven't updated the VS templates yet, which includes the project templates. They still target .NET3.5. I'll try and find some time in the next few days to do that.

Cheers,

Daniel

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 8:23 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.